If you’re part of a couple, you need to spend time doing fun things together. All too often, we get bogged down in the “must do’s” of life like taking care of the kids, shopping, cleaning, working, etc., that we forget to take care of ourselves with a few “fun to do’s”.
Having a buddy to spend time with and do stuff with is a primary care instruction on some people’s care labels – particularly a man’s. You can laugh, but it’s almost like men need someone to play with and if you’re not that someone because you’re too tired, have the kids, don’t like the sports he likes or whatever, then some other woman will be the someone that satisfies this care instruction for him – and they’ll get all the credit and his love for doing it.
Don’t start grumbling that you’re too tired. Okay, life gets a little hectic sometimes but that really shouldn’t be an excuse. Find the time or you’ll find yourself on your own. If you want to find out more about why being a good mate is important, check out the Buddy Required care instruction in the Care Label Guide to Improving your Love Life.
The trick is to work together to come up with a list of things you BOTH like. Now we know this isn’t easy sometimes, so we’ve come up with a non-exhaustive list to give you a few ideas:
- Stay in bed all day together
- Give each other an affectionate massage – it doesn’t have to be sexual
- Cuddle up with a glass of your favourite tipple and talk
- Listen and dance to your favourite music
- Have a dinner party for the two of you. Dress up, put on slow music, waltz your time away.
- Make breakfast in bed for two and laze away the morning
- Break out the cards, board games like monopoly and play parlour games
- Play “What we would do if we won the lottery”
When you Can Get Out of the House
- Go for a morning or evening walk together and admire the sunrise/sunset
- Take dance lessons – ballroom, salsa, whatever floats your boat
- Pack a picnic, a blanket and head out wherever.
- Sex al fresco – careful not to be caught or expose yourselves though – be responsible
- Check out the local sports hall/community centre/library for free classes and activities you may enjoy.
- Go to a concert for favourite group
- Go bowling
- Go hiking
- Go climbing
- Play a sport (badminton, tennis, squash)
- Go for a bike ride
- Go kayaking
Separately make a list of 10 things you’d personally like to do then discuss. Do you have any common ideas? If so go for it, if not talk about what’s on the lists and whether you’d like those things too.
Spending time together is an important way to create memories and reinforce feelings. Be sure that you’re the one you’re partner is creating memories with if you want to keep your relationship alive.